The best bitcoin wallets 2018
Platforms: Web Browser, Android, iOS
Founded in June 2012, Coinbase is a digital wallet and exchange platform where merchants and consumers can transact with new digital currencies such as bitcoins, ethereum and litecoin. They are headquartered in San Francisco, California.
Considered by many as the leading exchange service in the purchase and sale of Bitcoins , Coinbase is available in more than 19 countries and has 11 million users and 37 million registered portfolios.
Read Also : How to buy Bitcoins with PayPal
Read Also : How to buy Ethereum
One of the advantages offered by Coinbase is that it allows you to exchange your bitcoin for dollars or euros through the Instant Exchange function, which is very convenient if at some point you need cash and do not want to resort to an alternate currency exchange. Coinbase also allows you to send payments or collections by mail to third parties, manage your bitcoin in an integrated manner, and most important of all, it gives you a very safe and easy-to-use purse.
Read Also : How to mine Bitcoin Gold in Windows (2018)
Coinbase ensures that 98% of customer funds are stored offline. The data is divided using a redundancy system, encrypted with AES-256 and copied to USB FIPS-140 drives and paper backups, which provides an important measure of security against theft or loss.
- The vast majority of digital assets are stored in secure offline storage.
- It works on Android or iPhone, in addition to your web browser.
- The digital currency stored in the Coinbase servers is covered by an insurance policy.
Platforms: Android, iOS
MyCelium is a popular mobile application for smartphones that, in addition to integrating a digital wallet, has a large number of advanced options in terms of privacy and security. The wallet can be a bit complicated for novice users, but it is still one of the safest and fastest on the market. As an open source software program, MyCelium is constantly updated.
Mycelium has become the standard for mobile wallets and is available on Android and iOS platforms.
Being an HD billiard (“Hierarchical Deterministic”), Mycelium provides you with a 12-word backup seed key that you must write somewhere and keep it safe. In case your mobile device is damaged or lost, this backup key will allow you to recover your bitcoin assets. HD wallets also help you preserve your privacy, since the application will use a separate address for each transaction.
The wallet is compatible with Ledger Nano S, KeepKey, Trezor, and also with paper wallets.
In addition to saving the user’s bitcoins , there are multiple options such as buying and selling, QR code detector, having multiple accounts and private keys, saving a notebook with addresses for recurring transactions, cold storage, backup, and more.
Official site: https://wallet.mycelium.com/
- Compatible with Ledger Nano S, KeepKey and Trezor wallets.
- 100% control over your private keys. Keys never leave your device unless you export them.
- HD wallet (Hierarchical Deterministic) enabled, so you can manage multiple accounts and never reuse addresses (BIP32, BIP44).
- Ultra-fast connections to the Bitcoin network through the Mycelium super nodes.
Platforms: Web Browser, Android, iOS
Xapo is a bitcoin purse based on the web, so all you need to access it is a web browser and Internet connection. The wallet is known to have advanced security and privacy features, especially for an online wallet: Xapo uses offline servers that are never connected to the internet, which gives it an advantage over other web-based wallet systems. The company offers all its users a debit card, which greatly facilitates the use of their Bitcoins. One of the greatest advantages offered by the Xapo platform is that it allows buying bitcoins through local banks, thus facilitating the acquisition of this asset.
When you create an Xapo account, you are given a Purse and a Vault. Think of the Wallet as a checking account and think of the Vault as a savings account. Your Wallet is designed to save the funds you use for everyday expenses and the Vault is designed to save the funds you want to keep, safely, for the future.
Xapo also offers the world’s first bitcoin debit card. The debit card Xapo is automatically associated with your wallet and lets you use bitcoins for all your expenses, purchases and withdraw cash at ATMs.
In summary, Xapo is a pretty safe bitcoin wallet. It allows you to buy bitcoins, make purchases and send bitcoins to any part of the world and best of all: it offers you a debit card to facilitate all your transactions.
Official site: https://xapo.com/es/wallet/
- It offers a debit card which is automatically associated with your wallet.
- The Xapo debit card allows you to use bitcoins for all your expenses, purchases and cash withdrawals at ATMs.
- It allows to buy bitcoins through local banks.
- Cold storage system ( cold storage ) to offer greater security to all your bitcoin assets.
- The application is friendly for newbies.
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux
Exodus is a multi cryptocurrency wallet that has an intuitive and easy-to-use user interface. This desktop wallet allows you to keep Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dash and Dogecoin in one place, and has colorful circular charts that will help you easily organize your asset portfolio. Exodus has a built-in exchange that allows you to instantly exchange the supported currencies. The backup wizard will allow you to keep your wallet safe and ready for later use. Exodus is partially open source.
One of the main advantages of Exodus is the integration with the ShapeShift exchange service to allow a fast conversion between several cryptocurrencies. As of the last update, Exodus also supports Bitcoin Cash and Etherum Classic.
This portfolio is designed primarily for people who have never used a cryptocurrency exchange house. With Exodus you can -for example- change Bitcoins to Ethereum in a matter of seconds and without complications. It is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
In short, it is very easy to use, it allows you to easily transfer or sell bitcoins, and it has a pretty polished graphical interface.
Download site: https://www.exodus.io/
- Exodus encrypts private keys and data transactions locally.
- It has the integrated ShapeShift exchange service, which allows the exchange of bitcoins to ethereum, litecoin, dash, etc.
- Track the value of your blockchain assets in your portfolio, in real time.
- Option to modify the interface with custom themes.
- Online help and support 24 hours a day.
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Android, iOS
Jaxx is the first multi-platform Ethereum wallet. This lightweight wallet works on Windows, Linux, MacOSX, Chrome, Firefox, Android, and iOS.
Like Exodus, Jaxx allows exchanging the blockchain assets admitted through the exchange ShapeShift service. The purse supports a handful of cryptocurrencies, including the most popular ones such as bitcoin, ethereum, litecoin and dash.
Jaxx has a very simple interface, and is managed with a code or security seed of 12 words which must be kept well protected, with it you can access your funds on any platform, and you can restore your wallet if you get to lose, you can Create a 4-digit PIN to authorize transactions and safeguard the seed. You can also synchronize your desktop wallet with your smartphone in a very simple way, to give you great mobility.
In summary, Jaxx is easy to use, allows you to exchange cryptocurrencies from the interface, has incredible support and best of all: works on multiple platforms.
Official site: https://jaxx.io/
- Quick download and installation.
- All the keys are created on your local device and never sent to any server.
- Multi-currency functionality and integrated ShapeShift.
- Jaxx has been designed to work (and synchronize) on all your devices.
Platforms: Web Browser, Android, iOS
Blockchain Wallet is one of the most popular wallets on the iOS and Android platforms. It is mainly a web-based wallet that offers free applications for iPhone and Android. It only takes a few seconds to set up a wallet, in fact, all you need is a verifiable email address to begin with.
The Blockchain wallet is extremely easy to use. The company does not store your wallet on its servers, so there is no risk from third parties.
Although Blockchain offers its users a number of very useful features, it remains simple to use and enjoys a good reputation in terms of overall security despite the challenges that have arisen in recent years; it still lacks advanced features such as flexibility and multisig address security.
Official site: https://blockchain.info/en/wallet/
- Supported by one of the most trusted companies in the Bitcoin community.
- Good interface, available for mobile and web devices.
- Send / receive Bitcoins through your browser or mobile phone.
- It is a hybrid Portfolio: the company stores your wallet online, but does not have access to your private keys.
Platforms: Windows, Linux, OSX, Android
Electrum was created by Thomas Voegtlin in November 2011, as a result, several developers have contributed to its source code. Electrum is essentially a software wallet designed to give users the freedom to manage their funds and private keys securely. Electrum allows you to store your private keys offline and integrates with some hardware wallets such as TREZOR or Ledger products. The wallet uses decentralized servers to guarantee minimal or no downtime. Electrum is available for Windows, Linux, OSX and Android.
This fast and light desktop application is a good option for someone who uses older and less powerful computers for their bitcoin storage. The most intensive wallet processes are handled by remote servers.
Electrum servers are decentralized and redundant. Which means there will never be any drops in the system. Transactions with this wallet are usually quite fast.
Electrum is well regarded for its advanced security and privacy features, and users can even recover their wallet with a secret passphrase, although some people prefer a wallet that is not based on remote servers.
Download site: https://electrum.org/
- Your private keys are encrypted and never leave your computer.
- Electrum is lightweight and synchronizes fast.
- Like Armory, Electrum can be used to create secure cold storage without connection.
- Electrum has integration with all major hardware wallets: Ledger Nano and HW.1, Trezor and KeepKey.
- Electrum is one of the few Bitcoin wallets to support Tor.
Platforms: iOS, Android
Breadwallet is one of the most popular bitcoin portfolios available on iOS. The interface is easy to navigate, and it is easy to send and receive payments with bitcoin. Breadwallet focuses the majority of the user experience between only two screens, send and receive, simply by sliding to the right or left to move between them.
The Breadwallet team understands clearly that bitcoin can be confusing. With this in mind, they created a wallet focused on ease of use, security and privacy. It is one of the few fully decentralized portfolios, which means that your funds are stored in your own phone.
Breadwallet runs the BIP0032 software. BIP or (Bitcoin Improvement Proposal) that allows for improved security features by making the wallet hierarchically deterministic(HD).
In conclusion, Breadwallet is easy to use, it is available in both iOS and Android and has fairly advanced security features.
Official site: https://breadapp.com/
- Send and receive bitcoin payments in seconds, online or in person.
- Payments with a button for merchants and websites that accept bitcoins.
- Store your bitcoin securely using built-in hardware encryption.
- The simple recovery phrase allows you to recover funds when your device is lost or broken.
- Bitcoin direct network client.
Platforms: Windows, MacOSX, Ubuntu, RaspberryPi
Possibly one of the safest and most complete purses in the market, Armory was the first open source wallet with cold storage and support for multiple signatures. Armory is based on Python and is open source, which makes it an option to create Bitcoin applications as exchange and crowdfunding platforms.
The Armory wallet has three different ways to use: Standard, Advanced and Developer, so depending on the user’s needs, and their level of knowledge, you can get a better game.
The Armory wallet is particularly popular because it works with the Glacier Protocol, the famous and safe cold storage system for bitcoins. Whether you want to use the Glacier Protocol or are simply looking for an easy-to-use cold storage solution, Armory is a very interesting option and is available for free through its official site.
Some of its security options include a graphic keyboard to protect the user from keyloggers, offline transactions, cold storage options (including fragmented paper purses), among others.
In summary, Armory is the safest and most complete solution aimed at users and institutions to generate and store Bitcoin private keys. It is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Download site: https://www.bitcoinarmory.com/
- Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
- Supports cold storage portfolios offline
- Toggles between Standard, Advanced and Expert modes to allow different customization options.
- Decentralized closed boxes of multiple signatures
Platforms: iOS, Android
Airbitz Wallet is an easy-to-use bitcoin mobile wallet that allows users to use their bitcoins anywhere. Airbitz allows any user to easily configure a secure, encrypted and backed Bitcoin wallet in just a few minutes. The wallet provides an easy interface to perform transactions with bitcoin. It comes with a map and a local and web-based business directory to help users find companies that accept bitcoins. The purse presents an easy and functional experience from the creation of the account, to the sending and requesting of funds. You can easily obtain the application for free through the Google store.
Airbitz is a decentralized bitcoin wallet. The promising notion in this regard is that neither Airbitz nor any other third party can access your Bitcoins, so it is completely independent.
By using a decentralized server architecture, Airbitz allows the wallet to continue to operate even if the Airbitz servers are idle. The wallet is constantly protected by the process of backing up the keys, the transaction data is always encrypted and automatic backups are always made.
The system supports standard QR scanning and also features low energy Bluetooth (BLE) transfers.
Official site: https://airbitz.co/bitcoin-wallet/
- Decentralized server architecture. The wallets work even if the Airbitz servers are inactive.
- Supports Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to transfer funds instead of scanning QR codes
- Simple account creation with just a login and password
- Automatic wallet encryption, backup and synchronization of multiple devices.
- Multiple purses per account with simple wallet names defined by the user (ie “Holiday Fund”)
- Integration with the Airbitz business directory
Platforms: Windows, MacOSX, Android, iOS, Linux, Chrome
Copay is among the users’ favorite Android wallets, mainly due to its ease of use. It can be considered one of the best multi-platform Bitcoin wallets, since it is also available for Windows Phone, Mac, Linux and as an extension of Google Chrome.
The greatest strength of Copay is the multiple signature function. This means that you can quickly set up a single Bitcoin wallet with several people or devices as signers. You can use this feature to increase your security by creating a wallet containing the funds between various devices. For example, you can create a Bitcoin address that has three keys, one on your phone, one on your computer and another as a backup on a sheet of paper.
Read Also : How to buy Ethereum
Each transaction requires two signatures, from your phone and computer, for example. A hacker would have to attack both devices simultaneously to access your money. The third wallet is saved as a backup, in case your phone or computer is lost or damaged.
You can also use multiple Copay addresses in your organization. For example, each board member or treasurer may have a bitcoin wallet and password. To make a successful payment, a minimum number of signatures may be required to process the funds. That way you will not have to entrust all of your organization’s money to a single individual.
Copay depends on a central server to monitor and transmit transactions. This server can not steal your coins, but if it is subject to a DDoS attack or is not available, you will not be able to spend your Bitcoins.
Official site: https://copay.io/
- Copay is linked to Bitpay, one of the largest Bitcoin commercial facilitators.
- Multi-signature open source wallet.
- Available in most web or mobile application stores.
- Sufficiently simple for entry-level users
- The sending of bitcoins can be done through a long address or a QR code, and the user can include a note if he wishes.
12. Bitcoin Wallet
This innovative wallet was created by Andreas Schildbach in 2011. It is a peer-to-peer wallet that does not require registration, server in the cloud or web service. Bitcoin Wallet is considered as the first mobile wallet of Bitcoin and to date it continues to be one of the most popular applications for Android.
As the first application of its kind, Bitcoin Wallet attracted a huge number of users, with more than one million downloads registered on Google Play. While it was an excellent wallet in its day, it has been overtaken by more recent Android wallets, which have integrated a number of features that were not available when Andreas Schildbach finished his initial code.
Designed to make bitcoin transactions easy to perform at a time when these types of applications were limited, Bitcoin Wallet introduced an intuitive and simple graphical interface for the first time. Although it does not have the advanced features of more recent applications, the wallet remains one of the most downloaded in the Android application store.
Download (Google Play): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet&hl=en
- Sending and receiving Bitcoins through NFC, QR codes or Bitcoin URLs.
- Address book to save the most used Bitcoin addresses.
- When you have no connection, you can pay via Bluetooth.
Read Also : How to mine Ethereum on a Windows PC
- 1 The best bitcoin wallets 2018
- 2 1. Coinbase
- 3 2. MyCelium
- 4 3. Xapo
- 5 4. Exodus
- 6 5. Jaxx
- 7 6. Blockchain
- 8 7. Electrum
- 9 8. Breadwallet
- 10 9. Armory
- 11 10. AirBitz
- 12 11. Copay
- 13 12. Bitcoin Wallet